Thursday 17 October 2013

Practical cycling

I'm always amazed at the sheer volume of people that choose to commute on a pure race bike. I'm not sure that I could do it. Carbon fibre plastic bikes that could be ruined by a collision. Road shoes that can't be walked in for fear of ruining the cleats and carbon soles. That and a massive hiking backpack as you can't fit a rack. 

One of the reasons for the brompton purchase is that I want to be able to integrate cycling into my life the way most people use a car. It has mudguards and luggage capabilities that would compromise the honky tonk to the point of making the ride less enjoyable.

What baffles me is the sheer volume of luggage capacity insisted upon by your average cycle commuter. I toured holland with two regular ortleib panniers. I don't need more than a small saddlebag for daily duties. Lunch. Rain cape. Tools. Book. Deodorant. If I need a complete change of clothes I have an s-type bag which I would use instead. Why double panniers and a rucksack would be required for an office job is beyond me. 

The brompton is a practical solution for London. Made in London. Designed in London. Brilliant for every day simple cycling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or add to any of the ideas expressed here. Please be nice where possible.