Tuesday 23 April 2013

Dunwich Dynamo 2013

It's something I've been meaning to do for the last couple of years, but the timing has never been quite right. The Dunwich Dynamo is a 200km 180km ride from London Fields (Which is unsuprisingly in London) to Dunwich (Which I was suprised to realise is in Norfolk Suffolk).

This is a little further than I have ridden before. About 43km more. Or to put it another way just under 2 hours more.

It is also at night.

Admittedly it's in July so the "night" is only dark for about 5-6 hours.Or half the ride. (edit: I've just discovered it will be dark for 8 hours that night)

So 200km at night. Why would anyone do that?

Because we can. Because I can imagine what it feels like to cycle through the darkest hours of the day. trying to eat a flapjack in a pitch black country lane.What it must be like to feel the first rays of sun on your face as you see the sun come over the horizon about 7 hours in.To eat a portion of chips for breakfast soaking wet because I've just been swimming fully clothed. Snoozing on the bus back.

There are a couple of stops during the night to pick up more food and water but It's probably 9-10 hours cycling. This is either going to burn...

a)6990Kcal using a weight*distance*kcal per lb/mile. Or
b)4000Kcal using 400 Kcal an hour

Luckily I'm carrying about 30,000 spare Kcals in a handy front mounted storage container (Or belly)

My bike has been serviced by the lovely people at Comptons. It's been reshod following advice from the guys at 2 wheels Good. I've got a possy of people to ride with. Now I only have to decide what to wear for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or add to any of the ideas expressed here. Please be nice where possible.